Friday 15 April 2011

The language and the truth of the message are lost in a different kind of flood.

In Susan Hiller's work, Witness (2000), you can put your ear to one of the hundreds of tiny speakers that hang suspended from glittering wires. Most of them are dry reports of UFO sightings in different languages, as if from a file, but when, suddenly, you hear a voice, which is that of a person describing their own experience of a sighting, that's a little like love. "Believe me" is the hidden message in their voice. 
The exhibition is currently open at the Tate Modern, I will go and check it out, it looks amazing.



This is very close to what I have in mind for my final project. The way it has been installed is amazing and required a lot of skills and materials which I don't have so I guess I'll have to inspire  myself from her with cheaper materials. 

No comments: